Monday, September 1, 2008
without the apple topping...
yield: 16 slices
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 Tbsp egg white
1 Tbsp water
1-3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup light sour cream
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 8oz blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1 8oz block fat-free cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp half & half
1-3/4 cup granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 apples)
dash of nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. To prepare crust, mix crust ingredients in a bowl, press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 400° for 6 min. Cool. When cool, wrap the bottom of the springform pan with foil.
3. Reduce oven to 325°.
4. To prepare cake, mix sugar through cream cheeses thoroughly in mixer.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Pour over crust, place springform pan in a dutch-oven or broiler pan with 1-inch hot water. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until the center doesn't wiggle. Cool to room temperature; move to refrigerator and chill 4 hours or until cold.
7. To prepare topping, combine lemon juice, water, and sugar in a saucepan and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is golden colored; add butter and half and half.
8. Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sauté apples until lightly browned; stir in sugar mixture and nutmeg. Serve with cheesecake.
*Note: the apple topping is optional...the cheesecake is great without it!*