Thursday, August 14, 2008

Squash-Chicken-Rice Casserole


Creamy and cheesy, this is the perfect "comfort food" dish.

yield: 6 servings

2 large cooked chicken breasts
8 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 1/2 lbs)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350° .
2. Combine zucchini, onion, and broth in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
3. While zucchini mixture cooks, shred chicken with a fork.
4. Combine zucchini mixture through sour cream, 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently. Stir in chicken. Spoon mixture into a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
4. Preheat broiler. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm making this tonight (I think...if I have enough rice on hand...maybe I'll half the recipe). I'll take pictures for you to put up. :)

Luann said...

I made this recipe, but some of the directions were confusing. It calls for 1 cup of shredded cheddar, but never really tells you when to put it in...so I mixed mine in with the sour cream/parmesan mixture. Also, it didn't mention if the rice should be mixed in as well, or served on the side. I mixed mine into the casserole. Tasted good...just was confused on how to make it according to directions.

Michelle said...

Hi Luann,

The recipe states to combine everything from the zucchini mixture through the sour cream...that would include the rice and the cheddar. Sorry my directions are confusing...I'll try to make them clearer in the future!